Tuesday, May 3, 2011

An Aspirin A Beer

So after an awesome 6 o'clock  lifting session I hopped in my 1990 Nissan Sentra, that I am now driving to save some cash, and headed over for my first day at Peace Tree Brewing Co.  I had a quick introduction with the brewery staff and  I jumped right in. We started bottling  Peace Trees IPA the Hop Wrangler, and I soon realized that an enormous amount of man power goes into each bottle. I  was picking up bottles off of a pallet placing them on a conveyor belt which were then labeled, picked up by another person sanitized, filled, capped, picked up by another person placed into boxes and stacked onto another pallet. Three different people had to handle each bottle of beer that was bottled that day, not to mention all the hours that went into brewing, the people that had to deliver all the materials to the brewery.  We then bottled a few pallets of the Red Rambler and that pretty much took up the majority of the day. The guys were jokingly taking bets on how long I would last and I had to agree that the job was definitely labor intensive. I'm glad that I am a fairly active person or I would not have faired as well. I'm sorry guys I'm going to be back, so hopefully you bet on me being around awhile. While on my half hour drive home I started thinking about how much actually goes into getting that six pack of beer onto a shelf and it's amazing. It made me think about everything we use and how much actually goes into each product. Check into tomorrow on "My Brewing Adventure" to see how my day helping distribute the many Peace Tree brews throughout the Des Moines area goes.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome Kaleb! Sounds like you had a lot of fun ont he first day. I am really glad that you began to think throught the process of how a six pack makes it way onto the store shelf. I am sure the process of making the beer and bottling it to packaging and delivery were things that came to mind. However,you didnt happen to think about the process of growing the ingredients, making the glass bottles, or the designing of the labels and identity of the beer itself?
    Its crazy how much can go into it all. Like I said, I am pleased that you made the connections when reflecting on your drive. I hope that work continues to go well for you. And I look foward to reading more posts.
    By the way, do you have any plans for 5 de Mayo?

    Jesse Van De Krol

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way... I am super jealous of your opprotunity. But I am sure you arent taking any of it for granted.
    I am going to have to get me some samples of this Peace Tree brew. It does sound pretty damn good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha jesse the beer is awesome and your right... what we did was just a small portion of everything. There is so so so much more

    ReplyDelete