Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Tank of Gas and a Burrito

Day two working with Peace Tree Brewing Co. and I didn't even go to Knoxville. On the second day on this grand adventure I rode along with Peace Tree original Taylor Evans on his distribution route through the Des Moines area. I met him in Indianola at the first of many Hy-vees that we delivered to throughout the day. We went to Hy-vee after Hy-vee, restaurant after restaurant stocking the recently brewed Red Rambler along with the Hop Wrangler, Rye Porter , some root beer , and of course the ever famous Blonde Fatale. It seemed every stop we made someone made some comment about "the blonde". It was soon evident that these stops although time consuming were filled full of instant marketing research, viable information that wouldn’t be available if Peace Tree didn’t self-distribute. You could tell the majority of the people knew Taylor and were excited to be getting more of Peace Tree’s beer. There was definitely a lot of windshield time, which lead to me asking a lot of questions which I learned a lot about Taylor and Peace Tree. Besides the amount of time it took to make the twenty-five different stops in Des Moines and the surrounding communities a small portion of Peace Tree’s 170 some different locations, I realized how much more man power and fuel this part of the process took. Taylor said they estimated that by the time the beer is placed on the shelves, it has been picked up and set down at least six times. That’s a lot of picking up beer, probably explains why we had to stop for a Taco Johns burrito a common love both Taylor and I found we shared. Along with that we probably used almost a tank of gas during the trip, which completely blew my mind. Overall it was another fun and eye-opening day working with Peace Tree, check in again tomorrow to see what happens next in “My Brewing Adventure”

4 comments:

  1. Glad I found your blog! I'm from Tennessee, but I was fortunate to try Peace Tree brews when I visited my uncle and family in Knoxville last fall (Red Rambler = my favorite so far). I'm also a neophyte homebrewer and enjoy reading your chronicle of your work to date. Cheers to you--

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog from Peace Tree's Facebook page, I like what you have going to this point and look forward to reading about more of your beer adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty interesting when you do think about all the ppl that handle that one item before it reaches the customer. As you can tell Kaleb Dad and me are excited about this internship for you. We always sit down at supper time and say wonder what Kaleb did today. Keep up the good work!
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank u all I will try my best to keep you all informed ....

    ReplyDelete