Friday, May 13, 2011

Pure Awesomeness.....I dont know May 11

 Today we did quite a bit of bottling, three whole pallets  right around 3,500 bottles if I'm not mistaken. It was crazy crazy hot in the brewery with the temps reaching the high 80's and Joe brewing I was drenched with sweat the whole day, but even with the heat it was a good day free of any set backs. I did finally find a place to have an awesome tenderloin , which is hard to do. Hometown Meats in Knoxville amazing, loved it. As I was finishing up the day I did start thinking about some things that happened during the day.
 The first, was a gentleman that came in during our lunch. He wanted to try one of our beers and he wanted one that was like a beer that he had 50 years ago while in Germany. He didn't know what kind of beer it would be, what style, or what it even tasted like.  As Taylor poured him a sample of Blonde our strongest beer in alcohol content but our lightest beer, after a quick taste he said well that one is weak. So Taylor poured him a Rye Porter one of our darker beers and he immediately before even tasting it said he'd buy a six pack. I kind of stood there taken back, he hadn't even tasted it and he thought it was going to be the beer he wanted. The next thing that happened is my good friend Jim, who is in amsterdamm right now wrote on my Facebook wall and I quote "first beer post for Kaleb...Jupiler beer tastes like busch light and keystone mixed....pure awesomeness". As soon as I saw this I was so confused how a mixture of Busch light and Keystone could be anything close to awesome. 
So as I drove home from Knoxville back to Indianola these two incidents kept my mind preoccupied. I finally came to a conclusion, that they just don't know any better. The gentleman that came in has become conditioned to the idea that any beer light in color, is most likely weak and junk and anything thats dark has to be a good beer. Jim has become acustomed to light lagers being the best tasting high quality beer.  In the end I realized that I'm around people that understand ,a lot better than me, what good beer is. The average Joe off the street most likely doesn't know the difference between a Budweiser and the Blonde Fatale , even though the latter is a lot better. I realized somtimes I need to take myself out of this bubble and think about how other people percieve beer, not me and the people I'm around. It makes me think about barrier that needs to broken to really push craft beer into a larger market. Thats all for today Check in later on "My Brewing Adventure"

4 comments:

  1. Nice post. The brewmaster at our local craft brewery hs spoken about that barrier as well. He seems to favor "gateway" beers that resemble somewhat the pale lagers that dominate the market; to his credit, his brewery's golden ale (a gateway beer) is making a dent in our city, which has traditionally been a tough place to sell craft beer.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you at Peace Tree we recently started brewing Blonde Fatale which has been a gateway beer for a lot of people even though it has crazy alcohol content, it still has light enough color to not scare people away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. By the way, is Blonde Fatale a seasonal, or will it be available year-round? (I ask 'cause I'm hoping to return to Iowa this fall.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As of right now it is a seasonal but I wouldn't be surprised if it became a year round beer, mainly because of its awesomeness!!!!

    ReplyDelete